Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Does home insurance cover belongings at university?

Home Insurance

By Smart Bug | December 29, 2015

Heading off to university is exciting but it can also be stressful. There are a lot of decisions to be made and things to do. One thing that is often overlooked is insurance. Your kid is likely bringing a lot of stuff, including potentially expensive items like a laptop, camera, and bike. If something happens, does home insurance cover belongings at university?

Luckily, the answer is yes, home insurance will cover belongings at university if they’re living in a dorm. If they’re renting their own apartment and not intending to return home, they should get renter’s insurance to protect their belongings.

Just make sure to inform your insurance company that someone is attending university. Your broker can also help you determine if you’re covered with your home insurance or if you need a separate renter’s insurance policy for university students.

Why is having insurance important for university students?

Whether your home insurance covers your university student or they get a separate renter’s insurance policy, having insurance is important. It reduces the financial impact of a disaster, allowing you to get your life back faster. This coverage includes:

  • Property Coverage – Covers the replacement of your property if it’s damaged or destroyed by an insured peril.
  • Additional Living Expenses – Covers additional costs if you are forced from your home due to a covered claim or mandatory evacuation caused by an insured peril.
  • Personal Liability – Covers expenses related to your unintentional actions resulting in someone getting hurt or damaging someone’s property.

Are there limits to coverage for university students?

There is generally a maximum claim limit of $10,000 for your university student’s possessions stored away from home. There may also be other exclusions.

If this limit is too low or inadequate in another way, you may want to get renter’s insurance as it will offer higher limits and potentially more coverage.

Keep in mind if you fail to notify your insurer that your child is going to university, a claim may be denied as the insurer wasn’t aware of the change in risk.

Create an Inventory List When Your University Student Moves

An easy way to create an inventory list is when you’re moving – simply make a list of everything you put into a box! This will help if you need to make a claim while they’re at university.

You can use this list to determine the value of all of the student’s belongings and ensure your home insurance offers enough coverage. If not, talk to your broker about a renter’s insurance policy.

Other Things to Note

Keep in mind if you make a claim for your kid’s belongings while they’re at university, this will be a claim on your home insurance (unless they purchase a separate renter’s insurance policy). That means your rates could increase.

It’s a good idea to teach your kids preventative measures such as locking the door when they leave and hiding valuables out of sight.

Have more questions? Talk to your broker about your coverage today.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.