Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Home-Based Business Insurance in Alberta

Business Insurance

By V Palombo | March 13, 2019

Whether it’s their primary occupation or a side-hustle, many Albertans operate a business from their home. But did you know that this can impact your home insurance or that your business materials may not be covered? A home-based business comes with special insurance considerations, which is why you should discuss your individual situation with one of our brokers to ensure you have the right protection.

In this article, we’ll review home-based business insurance in Alberta and answer your most frequently asked questions.

Do I need insurance for my home-based business in Alberta?

Yes, if you are running a business from your home, you will need special insurance for your home-based business in Alberta. The exact type of coverage you need will depend on your business. Generally, you will either need a special endorsement (add-on) for your home insurance or you will need separate business insurance policies such as commercial property and commercial general liability insurance.

Why do I need insurance for my home-based business?

You need insurance for your home-based business insurance  in Alberta because your home insurance is not designed to cover commercial risks. If an unexpected disaster happens, your home insurance will not cover your damaged business property. It will also not provide protection if a client sues your business. You would need to pay out of pocket.

What type of insurance do I need for a home-based business in Alberta?

The type of insurance you need for a home-based business in Alberta will depend on the individual business. There are a few options:

  • Add a home-based business endorsement for your home insurance
  • Get a separate business insurance policy

Which option is best for you will depend on a number of factors, including:

  • Your industry
  • Your business operations
  • Annual revenue of your business
  • If you have employees or not
  • The value of your commercial property

Talk to your broker and they’ll advise which type of insurance is best for your needs.

Home-Based Business Insurance in Alberta

Generally, you want your home-based business insurance to protect your commercial property and cover your company’s liability. Some insurers offer an endorsement to their home insurance to cover a small home-based business. This coverage can be limited and is only designed for certain types of home-based businesses. It is also not offered by all insurance companies.

In other cases, you’ll need to purchase a separate policy or package (this generally includes commercial property and general liability protection). Your business may require other types of protection, depending on what you do. A broker can help you determine which types of protection you need and they can also get you the most competitive rates.

Is having a home-based business the same as working from home?

No, working from home is not the same as operating a home-based business in Alberta. Generally, insurance companies are only concerned if you are the owner/operator of a business. For example, if you work for a company and are working from home during the pandemic, you don’t need to inform your insurance company. However, if you’ve started your own business or work as a freelancer, you should discuss with your broker.

Do I need to notify my broker if I start a home-based business in Alberta?

Yes, you should notify your broker and insurance company if you start a home-based business in Alberta. This is because it changes the “material risk” of your home insurance. Failure to notify them can have consequences such as having claims fully or partially denied or not having your company’s property covered if something unexpected happens. Contact your broker if you’ve got a home-based business to ensure you have the right coverage in place.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.