Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

How can I customize my Intact home insurance policy to best suit me?

Home Insurance

By Joanne Lemna | July 8, 2016

Intact Insurance is one of the largest home insurance providers in Canada. In this article, we’ll discuss some endorsements offered by Intact for homeowners.

People_Going_Over_House_Blueprint.jpgAdditional By-Laws

Municipal bylaws are always changing and all repairs and replacements must meet current codes. But upgrading your home to meet bylaws is not always included in your home insurance. This endorsement covers the additional costs of upgrading your home to meet building codes and bylaws after an insured claim.

insurance_claim_form.jpgClaims Advantage

This protects the Claims Free Discount and waives up to $1000 of the deductible after the first eligible loss. That means your premium will stay the same even though you’ve had to make a claim. You must be younger than 49 years old and be claims free for the past three years to qualify.

addon-calculator.jpgClaims Free Protector

The Claims Free Protector protects your claims-free discount after your first loss. Unlike the Claims Advantage, there are no age qualifications – you just have to be claims-free for the past five years.


If you live in an area that’s at risk for an earthquake or other earth movement, you’ll want this coverage. Regular home insurance does not cover damage caused by earthquakes or earth movements, so you’ll need this endorsement if you want that protection. There is a separate deductible for earthquake coverage, based on the insured value of your home. Your broker can advise if you should get this coverage and explain how it works as it’s a bit different than the rest of your policy.

iStock_000040412522_Full.jpgFair Rental Value

If you rent out a portion of your home, fair rental value will cover your rental income while the home is unfit for occupancy after an insured loss. As long as you had tenants at the time of the claim, a portion of your rental income will be covered until repairs or rebuilding are completed. You will also be given compensation in the case of mass evacuation for a period of up to two weeks.

Elderly_couple_in_front_of_home.jpgLifestyle Advantage

With this endorsement, you have the power of choice. You can choose to settle a total loss claim on a replacement cost basis with no requirement to rebuild the same home or repurchase your contents. This differs from the traditional arrangement where you must rebuild the home as it was (upgrading to meet current code requirements).

Other benefits include:

  • Claims-free protection
  • Your property insurance deductible is waived on your first loss
  • Your coverage extends to a dependent in a health care facility
  • If your auto insurance is with Intact, your auto deductible is also waived in the event of a total loss or a hit and run

You must be at least 50 years old and have been claims free for at least three years to qualify for this endorsement. It costs $50 per year but offers a lot in terms of perks.


jewlery.jpgMy Extras

This provides additional coverage for your personal possessions and allows you to make sure your most valuable items are fully covered by your home insurance policy. This is useful for bicycles, collections, jewellery, and watercraft – high-value items that may not be adequately covered by your standard home insurance.

Family_Home_With_Driveway.jpgMy Home Complete

Worried about the expense of fixing your furnace in the middle of winter? Wondering how you’ll replace the washer and dryer when they both quit on the same day? With this endorsement, you won’t have to worry anymore. You’re protected if you experience a breakdown of your electrical plumbing heating and cooling systems. It also covers the repair or replacement of a variety of home appliances. The best news? If it’s below zero and your heating gives out for over 24 hours you’ll be reimbursed for your hotel costs.

identity-theft-shredder.jpgMy Name – Identity Theft

In the case of identity theft, you and everyone in your home will have help negotiating the return to normal life. You’ll receive assistance with the process and get compensation for lost income legal fees and the associated costs of getting your identity back.

Glass_Break.jpgResidence Glass Endorsement

Imagine that the neighbourhood kids are playing baseball and your front window is smashed to pieces. For a $50 deductible, this endorsement will ensure your window (or any other glass in your home) is repaired or replaced.

Fotolia_96381457_Subscription_Monthly_M.jpgResident Health Care Facility Coverage

If you have a dependent parent sibling spouse or child residing in a healthcare facility you want to make sure that they’re protected. This endorsement ensures that your home insurance policy includes them, covering their property and personal liability.

Overland_Water_Insurance.jpgEnhanced Water Damage Package

Intact’s standard home insurance covers the damage from frozen pipes (provided that your heating systems have been left on) as well as escaped water from appliances. The Enhanced Water Damage package extends protection for other causes of water damage. There  are four parts to this package:

1) Ground Water – protects you if water enters your home from below ground such as through a basement wall foundation or floor.

2) Overland Water – covers the damage done as a result of water entering your home above ground level due to heavy rain rapid snowmelt or overflow of a lake or river.

3) Sewer Back Up – covers damage or loss caused by sewage or water backing up into your home from a municipal sewer system, private septic system or due to a sump pump failure. You’ll also receive up to $1000 after a claim towards a damage prevention device like a sewer backup valve or sump pump.

4) Water and Sewer Lines – covers the repair or replacement of the water or sewer line on your property should it experience a leak break tear rupture or collapse.

It’s a good idea to get the enhanced water package if it’s available to you as this type of damage is common and can be very expensive to fix.

Keep in mind, this is not an exhaustive list of endorsements offered by Intact and some policies may include some of this coverage. Intact may also change these endorsements, no longer offer them or launch new ones. These endorsements may also not be available in all locations or for all homeowners.

Talk to your broker for more information about Intact’s home insurance coverage and to discuss your options.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.