Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

If my car is financed, what kind of insurance do I need?

Auto Insurance

By Joanne Lemna | June 23, 2017

Many people find themselves in a situation where they simply can’t afford to purchase a car outright. To afford a vehicle, people are often making the choice to finance their purchase. This leads to questions about how your insurance is affected. Do you need a special policy? The simple answer is yes, you will generally be required to carry above the required minimum amount of auto insurance if your vehicle is financed.

What You Need to Know About Insuring A Financed Vehicle

Let’s say you just purchased a brand new 2022 SUV. It’s got all the bells and whistles and the shiny exterior is what you’ve always dreamed of. Obviously, you’re going to want to make sure you have the proper car insurance coverage on this rather expensive new purchase. But if you’ve financed the car does the lending institution have certain insurance expectations?

The short answer is yes.

In most provinces throughout Canada, you are required by law to carry third-party liability, accident benefits and direct compensation for property damage insurance. The mandatory minimum is often not enough coverage to cover the costs of an accident and lawsuit, so most drivers carry more than the minimum. We recommend our clients carry $2,000,000 in protection. Most lenders require that policies have a minimum of $1,000,000 as they want to ensure their asset is protected.

Provincial and federal laws do not require drivers to carry any insurance that addresses damages to your vehicle, such as collision or comprehensive coverage. But this changes when a car is financed through a lender. If the car is damaged or written off in a crime or accident and you do not have adequate coverage the lender’s investment is not protected. Therefore most lenders require financed vehicles to have comprehensive and collision coverage with a minimum limit. Read the fine print and speak to your lending institution about the insurance expectations in order to get a clear picture regarding the insurance you will be required to carry. You should also talk to your broker who can help you out with navigating the different types of coverages and ensure you’re following the guidelines set by the lender and protecting your car.

Financed Vehicle in an Accident

If you are involved in a loss such as an accident remember that all claim payments are made payable to both the insured and the loss payee (the lender). This protects the amount owing on the loan. Listing the lender as a loss payee also entitles them to regular status notifications in regard to your policy; in this way, they can ensure that their collateral (your car) is being adequately protected.

Talk to your insurance broker if you’ve got any questions regarding navigating insuring a financed car and be sure to read the fine print of your lease or finance agreement to ensure that you’re meeting the expectations of the lender.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.