Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Is our extended family covered under our home insurance?

Auto Insurance

By Joanne Lemna | May 8, 2017

Many Canadians live in extended family households. Whether it’s a single grandparent joining the household or multiple related families sharing a large home, it’s important to consider your home insurance. In this article, we’ll address the question of if extended family is covered under home insurance and to what extent.

The Home Itself

If you have a home insurance policy, your home should be covered. If you’re planning a renovation or addition to make your home work for your extended family, make sure you communicate with your insurer. They’ll want to be advised before the work is done and when it’s complete. This will ensure you’re covered throughout the process and your home’s replacement value is updated once they’re done.

If you are renting a portion of your home out to extended family (with a formal rental contract), you should notify your insurance company. As renting is considered commercial use, you need to tell your insurer and potentially upgrade your home insurance.

Personal Belongings

The first step is to ensure everyone living in your household is listed on the policy as an insured. This will ensure their belongings are covered in the home and if they travel, go to university, or enter a care home (just make sure you inform your insurer if any of this happens).

The second step is to ensure you have adequate insurance coverage for everyone’s property. You can estimate by creating a home inventory list with your family and getting rough estimates of the value of everything owned. Then you can choose the correct policy limits and ensure you have enough coverage.

If anyone has expensive items such as jewellery, artwork, collections or sports equipment, you may want to purchase additional coverage to ensure these items are adequately protected. Your broker can advise if this is necessary.

If you’re renting out a portion of your home with a formal rental contract, the family renting from you should purchase a renter’s insurance policy. This will cover their belongings and their personal liability.

Does extended family moving into your home impact your insurance?

Yes, extended family moving into your home can impact your insurance. You will likely need additional contents coverage due to their possessions. If they have a pet, bring a trampoline, or work from home, you may need to adjust your coverage or see higher rates. In other cases, it won’t affect your insurance at all.

Car Insurance and Extended Family

If anyone is going to drive a vehicle owned by someone else in the household, they should be added as occasional drivers to the car insurance policy. For example, if you and your partner each own a car, you should be on each other’s policy. If your mom moves in with you and can drive, she should also be added. If she doesn’t drive, there’s no need to add her.

Adding drivers can impact your car insurance rates, especially if they have a poor driving record or insurance history. However, if they do drive your vehicle and get into an accident and you haven’t added them to your policy… your claim could be denied.

When you have a multi-generational household it is important to speak to your insurance broker to ensure your insurance is adequate.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.