Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Roommates and Insurance

Home Insurance

By Anne Valentino | September 18, 2017

Sometimes the best way to afford an apartment is to bring in a roommate. Roommates can help to defray the cost of the rent share overall expenses and of course provide some company. Especially if you’re just starting out a roommate could be a great idea if you want to be able to save money while maximizing your ability to rent a decent place to live. Alternatively in order to try and earn some additional income you may rent out a portion of your own home to someone. Whether this is in a basement suite or a more traditional roommate agreement this again helps with reducing costs.

The presence of a roommate can affect your insurance in both scenarios and is something important to keep in mind.Talk to your insurance brokerabout the ramifications of renting out a bedroom or basement suite or assuming a dual renter situation with someone else. They will be able to help clarify the things you’ll need when it comes to roommates and insurance.

You and a Friend Decide to Room Together and Share the Cost of Rent

If you’re renting a place with a friend you need to getrenter’s insurance(also known as tenant’s insurance) in order to protect your own belongings as well as provide liability coverage. But do you each need your own policy? The answer is yes – unless you’re married or common law. This way you each have coverage for your own possessions and each have your own liability coverage. This means you will not become enmeshed in one another’s legal or medical problems should any claims arise and you can be confident that your belongings will be protected. If you want a few more reasons to get renter’s insurance check out this article.

You can take out a single policy and both be listed as policyholders but this especially if you are not romantically linked and/or do not have joint possessions can become a bit messy and confusing. For roommates each having their own renter’s insurance makes the most sense.

You Decide to Rent Out Space or a Room in Your Home and Take on A Roommate

This is a common scenario and a terrific option to give homeowners a bit of breathing room on their bills and mortgage. But you should take into consideration what this arrangement will mean for your homeowner’s insurance policy.

First of all you need toinform your brokeror insurance company that you’re renting out a room or basement. You’re changing the risk by bringing another person into your home and you’re involving money – that means liability is going to be an important factor to your insurance coverage. Talk to your broker about how to ensure you’re protected as a landlord and read up on both landlord and tenant responsibilities.

A homeowner’s policy will cover the structure itself as well as all of your personal belongings in the event of damage theft or other disaster. For instance if there is a fire in the home it would be your homeowner’s policy that would cover the structural damage and be paying for repairs. This will not change if you have a tenant. However while your homeowner’s policy will cover your possessions up to a certain dollar value it will not cover the loss or theft of your roommate’s belongings. The best course of action is to require all roommates or tenants to have their ownrenter’s insurancein order to protect their possessions. Additionally they will be covered for any liability issues that may arise such as one of their guests tripping and breaking their leg.

Talk to your insurance brokerabout renter’s insurance and the effect of roommates and tenants on your homeowner’s policy.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.