Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Should My Partner and I Share Our Insurance Coverage?

Auto Insurance

By Joanne Lemna | May 12, 2017

Whether married, common law or simply living together, you and your partner living together means a lot of shared property and responsibilities. One thing to consider is if you and your partner should share insurance coverage. We’ll discuss what sharing an insurance policy means and a few different scenarios to consider when you’ve moved in together.

Sharing an Insurance Policy

Sharing an insurance policy means you’ll both be listed on the policy. You’ll both be responsible for meeting the terms and conditions (such as paying the premium) but you’ll both be equally insured.

For car insurance, you can be added on as an insured or as an occasional driver. If you are on the registration papers, you should be added as an insured; if you’re not but may occasionally drive the vehicle, you should be added as an occasional driver. If you live together, both partners should be on the policy (as long as you’re both licensed to drive, of course).

For property insurance, your should ensure you have enough coverage for your combined belongings and the rebuilding cost of your home, if applicable.

Who gets paid in the event of a claim? Here’s an example: You’re living together and both listed on the insurance policy. A fire occurs and unfortunately destroys your home and belongings. Luckily, it’s a covered claim so your insurance responds. Your partner owned the home and had more property than you, but the insurance company will simply provide a single amount to both of you. No partner will be individually compensated or be given more or less – unless they’re not listed on the policy at all.

We live together, should we share our insurance coverage?

If you’re living with your partner, you should share insurance coverage:

  • Add each other to your car insurance policies as an additional insured or occasional driver
  • If one partner already has property insurance, add the other partner or purchase a new property insurance policy together
  • If you have other insured property, discuss with your broker if you should add your partner

This will make claims a lot easier and ensure you’re both covered.

We’re not living together, should we share our insurance coverage?

If you’re not living together you may not need to share insurance coverage. You should each have your own property insurance (home, condo or renter’s insurance) and may have separate car insurance policies. The exception is if you frequently drive each other’s vehicles or share ownership of property – then you should add each other to the policy.

Talk to your broker for more details about adding your partner to your insurance policy.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.