Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Tiny Home Insurance

Home Insurance

By Joanne Lemna | August 31, 2017

Tiny homes have become the latest fad on the housing scene. Those frustrated by an expensive housing market or who have a desire to live a frugal, minimal or environmentally friendly lifestyle are opting to purchase tiny homes. Some are placed on flatbed trailers to enable a more transitory lifestyle while others are placed on private property in the city or in the countryside – and there are even communities popping up composed entirely of tiny houses!

These homes initially fell through the cracks of home insurance especially those on wheels. They were significantly different from regular homes and many were custom built. Slowly the insurance industry is rolling out tiny home insurance although many types are not covered yet.

What is a tiny home?

A tiny home is a residential building under 500 square feet or 47 square metres. While tiny homes can be mounted on wheels or installed permanently, currently only the latter is covered by home insurance policies. That means your tiny home must be permanently parked and skirted to be eligible for insurance.

Can any tiny home be insured?

No. Unfortunately, this is too new of a phenomenon and insurance companies are still catching up. Currently, your tiny home must be factory-built and not homemade in order for it to be insured. It must adhere to the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Z240 certification or a similar standard. Your tiny home must also be located on a permanent foundation (no wheels and not moveable).

What is available for tiny home insurance?

A tiny home is considered to be the same as a manufactured home. Coverage is similar to regular home insurance and includes:

  • Property coverage – Helps cover replacing your personal belongings and home if they’re damaged by an insured peril.
  • Additional living expenses – Helps cover additional expenses if you’re forced from your home due to an evacuation order or claim for an insured peril.
  • Personal liability – Helps cover expenses if someone is hurt or has their property damaged due to your unintentional actions.

Included in your property coverage is your home, furniture, clothing, appliances, deck, garage, other outbuildings, and the rest of your personal belongings. Make sure you have enough coverage to replace your belongings and reflects the replacement cost of your home.

If you run a business from your tiny home you may need a home-based business endorsement or a separate commercial insurance policy. If you rent out your tiny home, you may also require a special endorsement or policy. Some insurers are offering home-sharing coverage as an add-on for their policies.

There are also other optional coverages that extend your policy or are designed to adequately protect your property. This includes sewer backup coverage, overland water coverage, service line coverage, floaters, and more. Talk to your broker for a full list of additional coverage.

How much does tiny home insurance cost?

The cost for insuring a tiny home will depend on a number of factors:

  • Your insurance history
  • Your demographics
  • Your credit rating
  • The square footage of your home
  • The building material of your home
  • Your home’s roof type and age
  • Your home’s electrical, heating and plumbing systems
  • If your home is close to risks like a river or you have a pool or trampoline on the property
  • How close the nearest fire hydrant and fire station are
  • If you have damage mitigation or prevention devices
  • The claim rate and crime rate of your neighbourhood
  • Your insurance options

If you’re considering buying a tiny home or already have one, talk to your broker about your insurance options.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.