Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

What do I do if my company vehicle is vandalized?

Commercial Vehicle Insurance

By Viola Wallace | November 12, 2018

You return to your company van after a long day of work only to find that someone had come along and keyed a long scratch through the paint or broken a window and stolen some equipment within. Will you be held responsible? Why would someone do that? Is it possible to catch the culprit? Will this be covered by your insurance or the company’s insurance?

If your company has a commercial vehicle policy that includes comprehensive coverage damage from vandalism would likely be covered. If you’re using your personal vehicle for work purposes (and haven’t informed your insurance company) or your company’s insurance policy doesn’t include comprehensive coverage, vandalism won’t likely be covered.

Comprehensive Coverage on a Commercial Vehicle Insurance Policy

Comprehensive coverage protects your commercial vehicles if they suffer damage from non-collision perils like vandalism, hail, and fire. It is an optional coverage so make sure you have added it to your policy if you want this protection.


Vandalism is considered to be intentional damage to your commercial vehicle committed by a third party. It is a covered peril under most comprehensive coverage sections of commercial vehicle policies. If you do not have comprehensive coverage on your policy, you are not covered for vandalism.

What to Do If Your Company Vehicle is Vandalized

Here’s what you should do if your company vehicle is vandalized:

  1. Call the police (and inform your company).
    You will need a police report to submit to your insurer.
  2. Document the damage.
    Take pictures and video of the damage and the surrounding area. Record the time, date, location and details of the situation (such as how long the vehicle was left there, if there were security features like gates or a camera, et cetera). If there were any witnesses, you should also get their contact information.
  3. Contact your broker or insurer and submit a claim.
  4. Secure the vehicle.
    Once cleared by the police and your insurance company, you should secure the vehicle. This may mean removing any remaining equipment, relocating the vehicle (by driving or towing it), or putting a cover over a broken window. Your insurance company will be able to provide details of what you should and should not do.

You’ve now started the claims process. Next, you’ll likely meet with an insurance adjuster to discuss the incident. Assuming you have comprehensive coverage on your commercial vehicle policy and this claim is covered, your vehicle will be repaired (or, if it is a total loss, you will receive a settlement based on your policy’s loss settlement option). You’ll also need to pay the deductible.

If you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to your insurance broker.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.