Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Why is liability the greatest risk for a home business?

Business Insurance

By Viola Wallace | November 7, 2018

According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) liability is the greatest risk to a home-based business. Why? Many home-based small business owners assume their home insurance policy would cover their business, whether there’s a fire that destroys your business property or a customer slips and falls and hurts themselves while walking into your office. Or they may simply believe that neither scenario will ever happen to him.

Unfortunately, your home insurance will not cover anything associated with your business. That means if a customer or third party sues your business or your company’s property is destroyed, your home insurance wouldn’t cover it. This means you’d pay out of pocket for any lawsuits or to replace damaged property. This can get very expensive!

The reason liability is the biggest risk to a home-based business is the costs associated with a lawsuit. People can sue your business for large sums of money and the cost of legal expenses can also be astronomical. One lawsuit can financially devastate you and your business.

However, that doesn’t mean you can’t get coverage for your home-based business. There are usually two options:

  1. Add home-based business coverage to your home insurance policy (if available).
  2. Purchase a separate commercial insurance policy.

Which option is best for you will depend on your business and insurance company.

Home-Based Business on a Home Insurance Policy

Many home insurance companies offer add-ons (known as endorsements in insurance lingo) for home-based businesses. This will extend coverage to include your company’s property such as computers, furniture, tools, equipment and inventory. It will also provide you with basic liability protection, such as if someone slips and falls while visiting you at your home and decides to sue you.

This protection is not offered by all home insurance companies or to all types of businesses. You may need to purchase commercial insurance for your home-based business if you cannot get an endorsement on your home insurance policy.

Commercial Insurance for Home-Based Businesses

Commercial insurance includes a wide range of insurance products designed to protect businesses. Here are a few of the common types of commercial insurance:

  • Commercial Property: Covers the repair or replacement of your company’s premises (if owned) and property if it is damaged or destroyed due to an insured peril. Common insured perils include fire and theft.
  • Commercial General Liability: Covers legal expenses and related costs if someone sues you after getting hurt or having their property damaged due to negligent acts. For example, someone trips and falls in your office, breaking their arm.
  • Professional Liability: Covers legal expenses and related costs if someone sues you for financial loss due to your professional service or advice or failure to provide it. For example, a client accuses you of giving wrong advice, causing them to lose money.
  • Cyber Liability: Helps cover costs if your business suffers a cyberattack or data breach, including data restoration, legal expenses, and reputation management.
  • Equipment Breakdown: Covers the cost of repairs or replacement if your essential equipment suffers a mechanical or electrical breakdown – something not normally covered by property insurance. If your home-based business relies on essential equipment that would be difficult to replace out of pocket, this is a great coverage to have.
  • Business Interruption: Helps cover costs if your business has an insured claim.

Of course, there are many, many other types of insurance available. It’s a good idea to work with an experienced broker who can help you get the right coverage for your home-based business needs.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.