Did you know that...

Red cars don’t have higher insurance rates.

In fact, your car colour isn’t even on your insurance application. Here are several factors that actually matter:

  • Your car’s value

  • Your history of accidents and tickets

  • Whether you’ve always had insurance

  • What coverage you want (and which deductibles you select)

  • How much—and how—you use your car (see pizza delivery fact below)

  • Where you live

Each driver can get a different, customized package, so review your options with your broker—or contact one of ours.

Driving your car to deliver pizza can void your coverage.

Among other things, your insurance rates depend on how you use your car. Are you using your car for any business? If so, you must report your usage to your insurance broker.

Why? Your likelihood of having something bad happen (a.k.a. your exposure to risk) changes if you’re using your car for pleasure-only, work commute, or as a vehicle for conducting business. Keep in mind that if you don’t report your vehicle’s business use, your insurance may not pay damages if there’s an accident.

If you’re going on vacation, most home, condo, and renters insurance policies require you to have a “competent” person check your home while you’re gone.

Especially during the winter, you need to arrange a checkup for your home. An unattended heater or a burst pipe can pose a huge risk to your home’s safety. You may even need someone (who will understand whether it’s too cold inside, and then know to turn up the heat) to check on your home each day you’re gone. If you don’t have your house, condo, or rental checked, your coverage could be void—meaning a claim could be denied if something goes wrong.

How long can your place be unoccupied without getting it checked? While some policies specify more than a few days, others require a daily check for any absence over 48 hours.

Sewer backup coverage covers beyond backups—but not overland flooding.

Although flooding from burst pipes, storms, and sewer lines is usually covered under a sewer backup policy, you need additional coverage for overland water.

What’s included in overland water/flooding? Water entering your property from excessive rain, overflowing bodies of water, and more. Be sure to review your policy options with your broker. Many policies now have a different—and sometimes higher—deductible for this coverage compared to other coverages on your policy.

Landlords don’t provide coverage for your personal belongings.

Your roommate and landlord are responsible for their own property—not yours. From clothes to appliances, you can cover your personal property with renters insurance. Plus, for a low price, you can cover yourself for not only your belongings, but also comprehensive personal liability

Home insurance policies cover more than you think!

Beyond weather damage and fire to the building, a standard home insurance policy covers:

  • Outbuildings (like a shed or fence)

  • Your belongings (including family members who leave certain belongings when away from home, even for extended periods of time, like for university or a senior facility)

  • Liability (if someone gets hurt on your property)

  • Extra living expenses (in case you have to live away from your home during a repair due to a claim)

Review your policy with a trusted advisor, get an accurate picture of what is and isn’t covered, and explore options to expand your policy—or bundle your policies to save money.