Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

COVID-19: Personal Insurance FAQs

Home Insurance

By Samantha Lemna | March 30, 2020

The coronavirus crisis may be leaving you with questions when it comes to your personal insurance. We’re sharing the answers to our most frequently asked questions about COVID-19 and your personal insurance. If you have any further concerns or questions regarding your insurance, please don’t hesitate to contact your broker. We’re here for you.

How do I get pink cards for my vehicle during the COVID-19 crisis?

To get a pink card for your vehicle, please contact your broker. They will be able to email you a copy of your pink card. As digital pink cards are now accepted in Alberta, you can store it on your phone. If you want a hard copy, you will be able to print the document.

If I buy a new vehicle, how do I register it?

Contact your broker to add the vehicle to your car insurance policy and get a pink card. To register your new vehicle, you must bring the following with you to the registry office:

  • Proof of ownership document (such as a bill of sale)
  • Proof of valid insurance for the vehicle that includes the name of the person requesting registration (your pink card)
  • Acceptable identification (your driver’s license)
  • If applicable, an out-of-province, salvaged or commercial inspection report

How can I save money on my car insurance during the coronavirus crisis?

How you can save money on your personal insurance during the COVID-19 crisis will depend on your individual situation. Contact your broker to see what they can do for you when it comes to saving on your personal insurance rates. This can include:

  • Parking unused vehicles
  • Removing commuting

Please Note: Policy changes can take a few weeks to process. If you are paying monthly, your next payment may not be adjusted.

Can I park my vehicle during the COVID-19 crisis?

If you’re not driving your vehicle at all, you are able to park your vehicle. Your broker can review your coverage and advise of any premium adjustments. Policy changes may take a few weeks to process. Depending on your withdrawal date, the change may not be reflected in your next payment.

Am I covered if I use my vehicle for deliveries during the COVID-19 crisis?

If you are working as a delivery driver and using your own vehicle, it is important to talk to your broker. This includes working for UberEats, SkipTheDishes, DoorDash, any restaurant, or taking payment for deliveries. Some car insurance companies are extending coverage due to the extenuating circumstances but other insurers are not. If you’re bringing groceries to a family member, friend, or neighbour for no charge, you would likely be covered. However, if you’re being paid, you should contact your broker.

Am I covered by home insurance when I’m working from home?

Yes, you’re covered by your home insurance when you’re working for home as long as you’re doing so as an employee, temporarily. If you run your own business or are a contractor or work from home full-time permanently, you should contact your broker. You can read more about home-based business insurance here.

What happens if I don’t pay my personal insurance premiums during the coronavirus crisis?

If you are unable to pay your personal insurance premiums during the coronavirus crisis, please contact your broker. Due to the crisis, some insurance companies are offering some payment flexibility. Your options will depend on your insurance company and individual circumstances. As always, the best way to maintain your protection for your home, car and other insured valuables is to continue paying your insurance premiums.  Your insurance company may cancel you policy for non-payment if they are not paid.

Can I defer my personal insurance premium payments?

Please contact your broker if you need to defer your personal insurance premium payments. Some insurance companies are offering flexibility due to the current COVID-19 crisis. Your option will depend on your individual situation and your insurance company. Please remember that your broker has no discretion to defer, suspend or delay premiums. The contract of insurance is between you and the insurance company. Your broker can advise you on your options and advocate on your behalf to the insurance company.

How can I pay my insurance premiums?

How you can pay your insurance premiums depends on your insurance company and billing type. Here are some options that are available:

  1. Pay your insurance company directly through the insurer’s website or telephone line.
  2. Pay your insurance company directly through your financial institution’s online or telephone line.
  3. Contact your broker to pay by credit card.
  4. Contact your broker to pay by email transfer to A-WIN Insurance.
  5. Cheque issued to insurance company. This is a last resort due to the handling that is involved.

There may be some delay in processing payment, particularly with cheques. Please note that A-WIN Insurance is not accepting cash or debit at this time. Please note, not every option is available to everyone. Please contact your broker to find out your specific payment options.

My tenant is no longer working due to a work shutdown caused by COVID-19. Can I evict tenants if they stop paying rent?

We advise you to contact the appropriate government body to learn more about rights and obligations of  tenancy. In Alberta, you can call the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service at 1-780-644-3300.

Is my insurance affected if my rental property is vacant?

Please contact your broker to discuss your rental property insurance. It is important to inform your insurance company that your rental unit is vacant to ensure your coverage is not voided.

Do I have coverage for lost rental revenue due to COVID-19?

The COVID-19 pandemic is not an insurable peril so there is no coverage for lost rental revenue. Remember, these FAQs are generalizations and may not apply in every situation. Your needs and situation are unique. Contact your broker to discuss your questions and concerns.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.