Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Does car insurance cover a hit-and-run?

Auto Insurance

By Samantha Lemna | November 16, 2021

A driver who fails to remain on the scene of an accident or fails to provide their information can be fined and face imprisonment. However, some people still decide to flee. This article explains the consequences for the driver who flees and for a victim of a hit-and-run incident.

If you’re a victim of a hit-and-run, your car insurance will only cover you if you have comprehensive/collision or all-perils coverage on your policy. Otherwise, you are not covered.

What is considered a hit-and-run?

A hit-and-run is when a driver causes physical damage to property or injury to another person and leaves the scene without leaving their information, assisting anyone who is injured, or contacting the police.

Under Canada’s criminal code, drivers are required to offer assistance to anyone who is injured and leave their name and address. Under Alberta’s Traffic Safety Act, drivers are required to remain at the scene, offer assistance, and provide their name, address, driver’s license number, license plate and insurance information. They can also leave a visible note on a vehicle if it was struck when there’s no one around that includes this information.

Penalties for a Hit-And-Run

In Alberta, penalties for drivers convicted of a hit-and-run (or failure to remain at the scene of an accident or failure to report an accident) may include:

  • Demerits on license.
  • The license being revoked.
  • Fines.
  • Imprisonment.

The more severe the outcome of the accident, the more severe the penalties usually are. If convicted, the driver will also see a large increase in their car insurance rates.

Car Insurance Coverage for a Hit-and-Run

If you’re the at-fault driver, your third-party liability coverage would help cover the costs of damage, injuries and lawsuits. However, if you’ve fled the scene of the accident and been criminally charged over it, your insurance may not cover any of these costs. This is because they do not cover criminal actions.

If you’re a victim of a hit-and-run, your car insurance will not cover the damage unless:

  • You have collision/comprehensive or all-perils coverage on your vehicle. This will cover physical damage from a hit-and-run.
  • You have family protection coverage, which helps cover medical costs if someone in your family is injured in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
  • The driver is later identified – then you may be able to make a claim under DCPD (Direct Compensation Property Damage) coverage and the other driver’s third-party liability insurance.

What to Do If You’re the Victim of a Hit-and-Run

If you’re the victim of a hit-and-run, here’s what you should do:

  1. Document the date, time, weather and how you discovered the damage.
  2. Take pictures and video of the damage.
  3. Call the police and file a police report.
  4. Ask nearby homeowners or business owners if they witnessed anything.
  5. Call your insurance company.

Hit-and-runs are frustrating to deal with. Your broker is here to help you. Please give us a call to discuss your car insurance coverage and how to protect yourself in the event of a hit-and-run accident.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.