Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

Does Your Home Insurance Cover Camping?

Home Insurance

By Samantha Lemna | August 28, 2019

Over 40% of Alberta households go camping and its rated as the second favourite outdoor activity in the provincein this 2017 survey. And at least26% of Albertans own an RV– the highest percentage in the country! With the province’s incredible nature and proximity to great road trips and destinations in all directions its no wonder camping is such a popular activity.

Most people wouldn’t worry about anything bad happening while you’re camping. It’s vacation time after all. But unfortunately theft accidents and damage can occur even when you’re enjoying the great outdoors. We’ll review what your home insurance covers while you’re camping including your belongings RV and liability.

Does home insurance cover your personal belongings when you’re camping?

Yes your home insurance will generally cover your personal belongings so long as they’re items you regularly store in your home. If you leave them in an RV or at a year-round campsite you may not have coverage.

You may not want to make a home insurance claim if your belongings are stolen as their value probably wouldn’t be worth paying the deductible and the potential increase in your premiums.

Don’t keep anything valuable in your tent if you’re not there – keep it with you or locked and hidden in your vehicle. Campsites aren’t often sites of crime but it does happen. If you’re threatened by bad weather it might be best to pack up everything into the car.

Does home insurance cover your RV?

Some home insurance policies offer limited RV protection however you must add the RV to the policy. Keep in mind that if you submit a claim on your RV or its contents it will count as a home insurance claim.

The best protection is a separate RV insurance policy which will cover your RV and its contents if they’re damaged. RV insurance can also cover your property on a permanent lot such as decks sheds and other outbuildings.

Does home insurance cover your liability when you’re camping?

Most home insurance policies will cover your personal liability if you accidentally do something that injures someone or destroys their stuff including when you’re camping.

If you have an RV you may not be covered in all scenarios. Your best bet for protection is a separate RV insurance policy which includes liability insurance. This will protect you if someone gets hurt or has their stuff damaged while in your RV.

Camping & Your Home Insurance

Keep in mind that you’ll need someone to check in on your home if you’re gone for longer than 48 hours. Most insurance companies require this for your coverage to remain in effect. This is because an empty home is more vulnerable to vandalism and theft plus damage can remain undetected which worsens the situation. Have a trusted friend family member or neighbour check-in and make sure everything is okay.

Your home insurance does cover camping but the coverage will be limited if you have an RV.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.