Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: , Edmonton, AB Phone: 780.755.0110 5020 Lac St Anne Trail N, Onoway, AB, T0E 1V0 Phone: 780.967.2282 , Edmonton, AB Phone: 825.467.5631 206 Pembina Rd, Sherwood Park, AB, T8H 0L8 Phone: 780-732-8616 10060 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3R8 Phone: 780-435-3632 , Calgary, AB Phone: 403-532-4882 322 Avenue C S, Saskatoon, SK, S7M 1N4 Phone: 639-398-4170 5317 50 Ave, Taber, AB, T1G 1V3 Phone: 403-223-2377 110a McLeod Ave, Spruce Grove, AB, T7X 2H8 Phone: 780-571-1144 496 Marquis Rd, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 8B3 Phone: 306-970-8080 335 Hwy Avenue N, Picture Butte, AB, T0K 1V0 Phone: 403-732-6023 2201 Box Springs Blvd NW, Medicine Hat, AB, T1C 0C8 Phone: 403-487-5132 550 Wt Hill Blvd S, Lethbridge, AB, T1J 4Z8 Phone: 403-394-1123 734 13 St N, Lethbridge, AB, T1H 2T1 Phone: 403-328-9114 5 St SE, High River, AB Phone: 403-652-4104 9904 103 St, Fort Saskatchewan, AB, T8L 2C9 Phone: 780-998-0881 201-4271 23 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB, T6L 5Z8 Phone: 780-466-2136 3908 97 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6N2 Phone: 780-465-6900 8170 50 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T6B 1E6 Phone: 780-469-9378 52 Ave, Drayton Valley, AB Phone: 780-621-1707 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 0K3 Phone: 403-278-1050 1331 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB, T2G 1E1 Phone: 403-255-2252 234-7 Westwinds Crescent NE, Calgary, AB, T3J 5H2 Phone: 403-775-2100 , Calgary, AB, T3K 0S8 Phone: 403-719-9995 5114 2 St, Boyle, AB, T0A 0M0 Phone: 780-689-3946 50 Ave, Bonnyville, AB Phone: 780-826-3147 12931 20 Ave, , AB, T0K 0E0 Phone: 403-562-2191 2903 Kingsview Blvd SE, Airdrie, AB, T4A 0C4 Phone: 403-945-8885

My parents have moved to a care home. How does this affect their home insurance?

Home Insurance

By Joanne Lemna | June 29, 2016

You were raised in the family home. You learned to walk there learned to ride a bike in the driveway and eventually parked your first car in the family garage. These days however your time is taken up more with sorting out how to protect everything your parents worked so hard to build. That’s because your parents finally moved out of the family house and into a care home—a facility that lets them keep their independence while offering day-to-day assistance.

Yet despite all the advantages this type of move can be stressful for both parent and child and quite often involves some difficult conversations. Should you sell their home now that they’re no longer living in it? Or rent it out? Or leave it empty just in case? For most leaving the family home empty while your parents live in a care home often means finding ways to protect their single-largest asset.

Thankfully a quick call to your insurance broker can provide you with many of the necessary details. For instance if they’ve been made aware many insurance providers will honour a home insurance policy claim even if the home is vacant as long a reliable friend or relative checks up on the home once every 48 hours (sometimes this can be extended to every 72 hours but check with your insurance provider first). If you opt for this route just be sure to keep a logbook —a written record of each visit and house check-in. Also get used to checking the pipes gas and hydro service. For instance turning on taps throughout the house to make sure there are no leaks or using a multimeter to check each electrical socket. Just remember you’re responsible for verifying whether or not there’s an issue with the home. Keeping a log of your checks then becomes an easy way for your insurance company to expedite a claim should damage or loss occur.

But for many adult children, the constant need to check in on the house can be hard to manage. Perhaps you have your own family obligations or work responsibilities or you live too far away to provide this service. This is when you need to discuss your options with your parent’s home insurance broker. But given that most insurance policies will lapse or reduce cover after 30 or 60 days of vacancy it’s important to speak to your insurance broker.

For instance, one option may be to pay for unoccupied property insurance.  This insurance won’t cover certain types of damage such as burst pipes but may cover other catastrophic losses such as fire. Quite often unoccupied property insurance coverage won’t cover the cost of replacing all the belongings inside but it will cover the cost of rebuilding the home.

Whatever your reason as soon as your parents agree to move into a care home call your independent insurance broker. A quick call can help you understand your options responsibilities and coverage and whether or not you need to make some necessary changes.

Get A Quote From A-WIN

Get the best insurance deals and stay on budget.

Get A Quote

Life Events - It's Time to Reassess Your Insurance

Whether it’s heading off to university or deciding to start your own business,...


Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW merge to become Acera Insurance.

A-WIN Insurance is part of the Rogers Insurance Group.

Click to learn more about how this merger will impact A-WIN Insurance. Our branches will remain independently owned and operated.